Dental Education Loan Repayment Program
The purpose of the Dental Education Loan Repayment Program (DELRP) is to recruit and retain qualified dentists to provide dental services in Dental Health Professional Shortage Areas (DHPSAs) of Texas.
To be eligible for conditional approval, contingent upon completion of the service period, an applicant must
- be licensed by the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners and have no disciplinary action against him or her;
- agree to provide at least 12 consecutive months of comprehensive, general or pediatric services in a DHPSA of Texas; and
- submit a completed application to the Coordinating Board by the published deadline.
To be eligible for disbursement of a full loan repayment award, a dentist whose application was conditionally approved must
- have provided at least 12 consecutive months of comprehensive general or pediatric dental services, for an average of at least 32.5 hours of direct patient care per week in a DHPSA of Texas;
- have provided direct patient care to Medicaid or CHIP enrollees, or both, during the service period; and
- ensure that the Coordinating Board has received all required end-of-service period forms by the established deadline.
Priorities for Ranking Applications
Applications received by the published deadline will be ranked according to DHPSA scores for the applicants’ practice locations, with the highest scores representing the highest degrees of dental shortages. DHPSAs having the same score will be ranked according to the following characteristics, in order of priority:
- Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
- Nonprofit practice
- State hospital or state-supported living center
For more information on priorities for ranking applications, read the Dental Education Loan Repayment Program administrative rules.
Interested dentists may determine if a particular practice site is currently designated as a DHPSA by entering the address using the following federal search tool: Health Resources and Services Administration Shortage Areas.
FY2016-2017 Funding and Annual Award Amount
The Texas Legislature appropriated $110,000 for each year of the FY 2016-2017 biennium. Given the limited amount of funding and the anticipated number of applications from eligible dentists, the maximum award amount to be disbursed to lenders on behalf of selected dentists will be $10,000. If selected, dentists may qualify for prorated repayment assistance based on the percentage of full-time service provided, if providing comprehensive direct patient care for a minimum of 20 hours per week during the service period.
Application and Deadline
The deadline for the FY 2017 application period is now closed.
For more information on the Dental Education Loan Repayment Program, please contact us.
For information about federal loan repayment through the National Health Service Corps and contact information for the Texas Department of State Health Services, please call (512) 458-7518 or visit Texas Primary Care Office.