Nursing Faculty Loan Repayment Assistance Program
The purpose of the Nursing Faculty Loan Repayment Assistance Program is to improve access to nursing education programs by encouraging qualified nurses to serve as faculty at eligible institutions of higher education.
For more information, review Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Chapter 23, Subchapter G.
To speak to a Customer Service Representative regarding loan repayment programs, call 833-597-0454, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
Online Inquiries: CONTACT US (select “Financial Aid Question” as the Contact Reason)
How to Apply
The application period for the 2021-2022 academic year will open at the beginning of April 2022.
To receive loan repayment assistance, a nurse must meet the following requirements:
- hold a master's or doctoral degree in nursing
- be licensed by the Texas Board of Nursing for the State of Texas
- apply to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board by the published application deadline
- at the time of application for repayment assistance, have been employed full-time for at least one year, and be currently employed full-time, as a faculty member of a nursing program at an eligible institution in a position that requires and advanced degree in professional nursing
- Nurses may qualify for up to $7,000 in student loan repayment for a period of up to 5 years.
- Loan repayment awards are reported to the Internal Revenue Service by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
The following requirements apply for a loan to be eligible for repayment through this program:
- must be verified by a promissory note which required the loan proceeds to be used to pay for higher education costs
- may not have an existing service obligation
- may not be in default status at the time of application
Frequently Asked Questions
What is considered full-time?
The individual institution determines what is considered full-time employment as a member of the nursing faculty.
Can I receive payment for part-time service?
No. A recipient must be a full-time faculty member to be considered for loan repayment assistance.
What is the service period?
The service period is a minimum of nine months of a 12-month academic year.
When will I receive my award?
The award will be sent to your lender(s) after we receive and review your end-of-service period payment application and employment verification forms.