Children of Disabled or Deceased Firemen, Peace Officers, Game Wardens, and Employees of Correctional InstitutionsProgram Purpose
- Are the child of an eligible parent who suffered an injury, resulting in disability or death, sustained in the line of duty;
- Apply before age 21 unless eligible to participate in a school district's special education program under section 29.003, age 22;
- Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support;
- Eligible students must maintain a grade point average (GPA) that satisfies the institution's academic progress requirements; and
- Cannot receive the exemption for hours that are considered to be excessive under Section 54.014.
Eligible parent suffered an injury, resulting in disability or death as a paid or volunteer fireman, paid municipal, county, or state peace officer, or a custodial employee of the Texas Department of Corrections, or a game warden .Eligible Institutions
Available only for use at a Texas public college or university.
To access listings of Texas public colleges and universities, follow the links to Texas Public Institutions.Award Amount
Exemption from the payment of tuition and required fees for the first 120 undergraduate semester credit hours for which a person registers or age 26, whichever comes first. No funds may be used to pay tuition for continuing education classes for which the college receives no state tax support.Application Process
Certification letter must be submitted to either the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board or Texas Public Institution of Higher Education depending of the date of injury. Provided for your reference is a sample certification letter that can be used as a guide.
- Have parent's prior employer provide a certification letter on official letterhead;
- For injuries that occurred prior to September 1, 2000 submit the letter to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board;
- For injuries that occurred on or after September 1, 2000 submit the certification letter to the Registrar's office of the designated Public Institution of Higher Education;
- In the case of a disability, also submit physicians statement certifies the disability;
- For injuries that occurred prior to September 1, 2000 the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board will notify the college or university of the student's eligibility.