Peace Officer Loan Repayment Assistance Program
The purpose of the Peace Officer Loan Repayment Assistance Program is to assist qualifying peace officers with the repayment of eligible student loans.
To speak to a Customer Service Representative regarding loan repayment programs, call 833-597-0454, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
Online Inquiries: CONTACT US (select “Financial Aid Question” as the Contact Reason)
Primary Eligibility Requirements
The following are primary requirements to qualify for the program:
- be initially appointed as a full-time peace officer on or after September 1, 2019
- have earned at least 60 semester credit hours, or the equivalent, at an eligible institution of higher education in Texas prior to initial appointment as a peace officer
- be currently employed, and have completed at least one year of employment, as a full-time peace officer in Texas
To qualify for loan repayment through the Peace Officer Loan Repayment Assistance Program, an individual must meet the definition of “peace officer” as described in Article 2.12, Texas Code of Criminal Procedure
For additional details, please review the program rules: Subchapter H, Texas Administrative Code.
- The annual amount of loan repayment assistance is the lesser of $4,000 or 20 percent of the total of unpaid eligible loan balance;
- The maximum amount of loan repayment assistance is $20,000 over a five-year period;
- An individual may not receive loan repayment assistance for more than five consecutive years;
- Loan repayment awards are contingent upon available funding.
- Loan repayment assistance received will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service.
The following are requirements that loans must meet, to be eligible for repayment:
- must be evidenced by a promissory note which required the loan proceeds to be used to pay for the cost of attendance at an eligible Texas institution for a semester/term that ended in the five years immediately preceding the individual’s initial appointment as a peace officer
- must not be in default at the time of the peace officer’s application
- must not have an existing service obligation
- must not be subject to repayment through another student loan repayment or loan forgiveness program, or as a condition of employment.
How to Apply
Please use one of the following internet browsers: Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari.
To complete an application:
- Create an account by going to CBPass at https://www1.thecb.state.tx.us/cbpass/
- In CBPass on the My Access tab, click on “Click to Request Access to another application” and select Loan Repayment Programs from the list of applications.
- In the Loan Repayment Programs portal, select the Peace Officer Loan Repayment Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
I began service as a peace officer prior to September 1, 2019 - am I eligible for loan repayment?
No. The law states that your initial appointment as a peace officer must have begun on or after September 1, 2019.
How are applicants selected?
In the initial year of the program, applications will be selected on a first-come-first-served basis until funds are no longer available. After the initial program year, priority will be given to prior year recipients and initial applications will be selected on a first-come-first-served basis until funds are no longer available.
Do I have to apply each year?
Yes. Applicants who were enrolled in the program with their initial applications must submit a renewal application upon completion of each year of eligible service.
What is considered full-time?
Full-time is at least 40 hours per week for a minimum of 45 weeks per year.
Can I receive payment for part-time?
No. A recipient must be employed full-time to be eligible for loan repayment assistance.
Is the percentage of the award amount based on my original loan balance or my current loan balance?
The percentage is based on the verified loan balance at the time of the initial application.
When will I receive my award?