Peace Officer Loan Repayment Assistance Program
The purpose of the Peace Officer Loan Repayment Assistance Program is to assist qualifying peace officers with the repayment of eligible student loans.
For more details, review Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Chapter 23, Subchapter H.
To speak to a Customer Service Representative regarding loan repayment programs, call 833-597-0454, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
Online Inquiries: CONTACT US (select “Financial Aid Question” as the Contact Reason)
How to Apply
Please use one of the following internet browsers: Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari.
To complete an application:
- Create an account by going to CBPass at https://www1.highered.texas.gov/cbpass/.
- Click on the Create one now! hyperlink and complete the "New User Registration".
After your CBPass account is created, login and complete the following:
- Click on the My Access tab.
- Click on the Click to Request Access to another application hyperlink and select "Loan Repayment Programs" from the list of applications.
- In the Loan Repayment Programs portal, select the "Peace Officer Loan Repayment Program".
Primary Eligibility Requirements
To qualify for loan repayment through this program, an individual must meet the definition of "peace officer" as described in Article 2.12, Texas Code of Criminal Procedure and meet the following:
- be initially appointed as a full-time peace officer on or after September 1, 2019
- have earned at least 60 semester credit hours, or the equivalent, at an eligible institution of higher education in Texas prior to initial appointment as a peace officer
- be currently employed and have completed at least one year of employment as a full-time peace officer in Texas
- The annual amount of loan repayment assistance is the lesser of $4,000 or 20 percent of the total of unpaid eligible loan balance.
- The maximum amount of loan repayment assistance is $20,000 over a five-year period.
- An individual may not receive loan repayment assistance for more than five consecutive years.
- Loan repayment awards are contingent upon available funding.
- Loan repayment awards are reported to the Internal Revenue Service by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
The following requirements apply for a loan to be eligible for repayment through this program:
- must be verified by a promissory note which required the loan proceeds to be used to pay for the cost of attendance at an eligible Texas institution for a semester/term that ended in the five years immediately preceding the individual’s initial appointment as a peace officer
- must not be in default at the time of the peace officer’s application
- must not have an existing service obligation
- must not be subject to repayment through another student loan repayment or loan forgiveness program, or as a condition of employment
Frequently Asked Questions
I began service as a peace officer prior to September 1, 2019, am I eligible for loan repayment?
No. The law states that your initial appointment as a peace officer must have begun on or after September 1, 2019.
How are applicants selected?
In the initial year of the program, applications will be selected on a first-come-first-served basis until funds are no longer available. After the initial program year, priority will be given to prior year recipients and initial applications will be selected on a first-come-first-served basis until funds are no longer available.
Do I have to apply each year?
Yes. Applicants who were enrolled in the program with their initial applications must submit a renewal application upon completion of each year of eligible service.
What is considered full-time?
Full-time is at least 40 hours per week for a minimum of 45 weeks per year.
Can I receive payment for part-time?
No. A recipient must be employed full-time to be eligible for loan repayment assistance.
Is the percentage of the award amount based on my original loan balance or my current loan balance?
The percentage is based on the verified loan balance at the time of the initial application.
When will I receive my award?
The repayment award will be processed upon approval of the application and will be mailed to your lender(s). You will be notified when the payment has been sent to the lender(s).