Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program

The purpose of the Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program (TFTLRAP) is to recruit and retain certified classroom teachers in fields and communities that have a shortage of teachers in Texas.

Eligibility Requirements

 * NOTE: Title I designation is not a criterion for determining shortage campuses.

 Designated Shortage Fields for 2018-2019

For additional details, including priority of application acceptance and ranking, please review the administrative rules for the program.

Application Process

The application period for teachers for the 2018-2019 school year is now closed.  The deadline for principals or other authorized officials to submit the employment verification portion of the application is Friday, June 28, 2019 at 5:00 PM CST.

Award Amount

Up to a maximum of $2,500.

Loan repayment assistance received through this program will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service.

Eligible Loans

Frequently Asked Questions

What is considered full time?
     Teaching students for at least four hours each day in a classroom setting, performing instructional duties as a full-time employee of a Texas public school district.

I forgot to upload my teaching certificate with my application.  What do I do?
     We will access the information from the State Board for Educator Certification website.

I provided the wrong name/email for my CAO.  How do I correct this?
     Please contact us for  further instructions.

My CAO never received the employment verification form.  What do I do?
     Ask the CAO to check his/her spam/junk email folders. If after 48 hours, the form cannot be located, please complete a new application with the correct CAO information.

My CAO received an error message when he/she completed the employment verification form.  What does this mean?
     This error occurs because the CAO makes changes to the prepopulated information on the form. Please contact our office to determine if we have received the completed form.

My CAO cannot complete the form.  Who else can complete the form besides my principal? 
     The assistant principal, Human Resources personnel, or superintendent or his/her designee may complete the form.

If I have been awarded funds in the past and apply this year, will I be guaranteed to receive funds?
     Funds are not guaranteed. If you still meet the eligibility requirements and have not had a break in service or a break in application periods, you will receive priority for funding before new applicants receive consideration.

I teach Math and/or Science, but have a Self-Contained/Generalist/Core Subjects certificate.  Do I qualify as teaching a shortage field?
     Per the Texas Education Agency, an applicant with a Generalist, Self-Contained, or Core Subject certificate is able to teach various subjects, but is not considered to be teaching a shortage field. 

I am an instructional coach.  Am I eligible?
     No. Instructional coaches work primarily work with classroom teachers to provide instructional and curriculum support.

Are assistant principals, counselors, or librarians eligible?
     No. They do not provide classroom instruction.

I am applying for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.  Am I eligible to apply for this program also?
     Yes. Administrative rules for the program do not prohibit teachers from qualifying for repayment of their student loans through more than one program. However, loans whose governing promissory notes include a provision for forgiveness of the loans upon the borrower’s completion of a specified service obligation are not eligible for repayment through the TFTLRAP.

I have been teaching for several years and just learned about this program.  Can I receive funds for my previous years of teaching?
     No. Applications must be received by the deadline established for each year of funding.

The name on my teaching certificate is different from my current name.  Which name do I use on my application?
     You must apply using your current legal name. There is a place on the application to provide the name on the teaching certificate. 

I began teaching after the year started.  Am I eligible to apply?
     No. You must wait until the next academic year since one of the program eligibility requirements is to provide one academic year of teaching for the school year for which funds are being awarded.

I am teaching with a probationary certificate.  Am I eligible to apply?
     No. Applicants teaching with a probationary, temporary, or emergency permit are not eligible. If the applicant has a one-year certificate, the applicant is eligible. 

How many times can I receive an award?
     The maximum number of awards you can receive is five.

Can I submit a paper form?
     No. Paper forms are obsolete. You must apply online.