Loan Repayment Program for Mental Health Professionals

The purpose of this program is to encourage qualified mental health professionals to practice in a Mental Health Professional Shortage Area (MHPSA) and provide mental health care services to recipients under the medical assistance program and to enrollees under the child health plan program.

For more details, review Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Chapter 23, Subchapter D.

To speak to a Customer Service Representative regarding loan repayment programs, call 833-597-0454, Monday through Friday 8a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

Online Inquiries: CONTACT US (select “Financial Aid Question” as the Contact Reason)


How to Apply

The application period is September 1, 2021 through October 31, 2021.


Eligible Practice Specialties


Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for this program, applicants must meet the following primary requirements:


Award Amount

Recipients cannot exceed the following maximum aggregate award amounts over a five-year period:


If the verified loan balance is less than the maximum aggregate award amount, the following percentages apply:


Eligible Loans

The following requirements apply for a loan to be eligible for repayment through this program:


Frequently Asked Questions

If I am currently an associate, am I eligible for the program?
If you are not licensed by the end of the application period, you are not eligible to apply. Associates are not licensed professionals because they are completing supervised training.

I will not be licensed until after the application deadline. Am I eligible for the program?
No. If you are not licensed by the end of the application period, you are not eligible.

How do I know if my site is located in a MHPSA?
To verify if your site is located in a MHPSA, go to the Health Resources and Services Administration Shortage Areas search page. The site address that needs to be verified is the site where you are physically working, not where the headquarters or administration office is located.

Do I have to commit to five years of service?
Yes. If you are working in a MHPSA, you must commit to providing five years of service. However, if the funding for loan repayment awards is not available, you will be released from the service obligation.

Do I have to apply each year?
No. If you have been accepted into the program, you will be notified regarding a required end-of-service period employment verification form approximately 30 days before the end of your service period.

If I leave the program do I have to pay back any money I received?
No. You do not have to pay back these funds, but you will no longer be eligible to apply for any State of Texas loan repayment programs.

Note: If you have signed a contract to receive federal matching funds through the State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP), all financial penalties set forth in the contract for breach of contract will apply. 

What if I want to change practice sites?
Before changing practice sites, please contact our office to discuss how this change might impact your program eligibility. If you wish to change practice sites, the new site must be in a MHPSA for you to continue to be eligible for the program. 

Note: Veterans Affairs clinics and military bases are not eligible for the program as they are not open to the public.

Does my practice site have to have a high HPSA score?
No. The practice site does not need to have a particular HPSA score to meet eligibility requirements. However, the score is used to rank eligible applications if funding is insufficient for all eligible applicants.

Do I have to only see Medicaid and CHIP patients?
No. You do not have to provide services only to Medicaid and CHIP patients. However, you must accept all forms of payment and not turn away patients due to their inability to pay.

Our facility does not charge patients for services. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes. If you are providing mental health services for no cost, you are fulfilling the eligibility requirements.

What is considered full-time?
Full-time is a minimum of 32 hours per week.

Can I receive payment for part-time?
You can receive a pro-rated award for part-time employment as long as you are providing a minimum of 20 hours of mental health services per week in a MHPSA.

Is the percentage of the award amount based on my original loan balance or my current loan balance?
The percentage is based on the verified loan balance at the time the application for enrollment is reviewed. If you owe less than the aggregate maximum award amount, the annual payment amounts will be the amounts needed to repay the loan over a period of five years.

When will I receive my award?
The annual award will be mailed to the lender after you have completed each year of service and all documentation has been received and reviewed. 

I have been practicing for several years and just learned about this program. Can I receive funds for my previous years of service?
No. The years of service begin when you are enrolled into the program. Program funding does not allow for funding of prior years of service.